Life has it's ups and downs. Throughout this whole foster care journey we have had major ups and downs. It's draining. Our family is pretty much laid back, we just hang out, shop, bike ride, watch movies, and stuff. The kids have their things to do, but we don't go crazy and over do it. We can see how easy both of these babies fit into our family. When you have older children then all of a sudden have infants, it can be overwhelming. But these babies are just so perfect. I don't know how I'm going to handle saying goodbye to them.
The ups and downs of their cases has been crazy. First they go home, then it looks like they may stay, then mom is on track-they are going home, a family member wants them, then they are staying, then we can adopt, then it's up to the judge, then no one knows, then they get lost in the system, then we can adopt them. See the pattern of craziness? I think my problem is expectations. I really was too positive and wanted to believe the workers when they tell us that we will probably get to adopt both babies. I am changing the rules. It's not fair to our family to pretend we are going to adopt these babies when they could both be gone as fast as they came. I am not giving up, yet. I am simply re-evaluating my motives, my expectations, and my families desires. I am going to practice acceptance. Acceptance that this is not in my control. Acceptance that these babies will more than likely go home--yes both of them. Acceptance that things change from day to day, happiness can turn to sadness in a blink of an eye. Acceptance that reality is sometimes ugly and unfair, and my children are learning that. Acceptance that these lessons in loving will have a positive impact on my children's lives, even if it's painful now.
What I know about our babies cases: Lovebug's mom is going to work hard the next 6 weeks to do everything she needs to in order to stop the termination.
Little Guy-we are being kept in the dark. I think the aunt is pursuing custody and I would guess the worker will support that--only because he has been reduced to a file. The worker who knew him is gone, I can't tell you how much that impacts the kids (when a worker leaves). We do have the GAL but unless the aunt is in bad shape, he will go there eventually.
So now in practicing my acceptance of our decision to foster, I am accepting that we will more than likely lose both babies. Foster parenting is rewarding, but painful experience. I have said before that we are living 'open', open to what God gives us. Giving babies a healthy start is so important for their future development. I am blessed to be these babies mommy, even if for a day.
Saturday, July 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
I wish I could say that I had as great an attitude about it as you do, but right now I really don't. I'm working on it, but it is hard.
One thing I have come to realize is that no matter how goor or how bad things get, they are bound to change. I guess it is just the way life is
I couldn't have said it better myself. It hurts to lose them but I am also learning that we all were chosen to do this for a reason and someday we will all have our forever children. The good thing about down days is that tomorrow has hope to be a good one.
Every day is different and acceptance is a day to day emotional state... but then again, I don't think any of us could do this if we couldn't just pull the seatbelt tighter for the rollercoaster ride.
Wow. What a great description of what fostering can be like. I really want to be a foster parent, but at the same time, I don't know if I'm up for all of it. What really matters, though is that the kids are safe and happy. I do have a question, were you told that your foster babies would more than likely go to adoption in the beginning, or was it a general placement?
Blessings!
We are told reunification is always the goal. But we were told 1month later that Little Guy was moving toward termination. Several different workers have led us to believe we would be able to adopt. Don't count your chickens is what the truth is. I'm not laying blame, many things have come into play here. The responsible party for this mess is birthmom.
You are at an amazing place. Acceptance is very hard for me when I think of losing "our" love bug. Holding on to someone with an open hand ....so very difficult. You painted the perfect picture here of foster care. The good and bad.
Post a Comment